Actions Completed by Republicans 2017

Home Forums Off Topic Actions Completed by Republicans 2017

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mary guercio mary guercio 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Aaron Dow
    Aaron Dow
    Participant

Enter legislation and rule changes by Republicans here. Use the following structure:

YYYY/MM/DD

Name (of bill or rule)

Type: (federal, state, local, who it affects, etc.)

Description (best copied and pasted from source)

Source: (article or actual bill)

More info: (If you can find the actual ruling or bill)

2017/01/05

The Holman Rule

Type: Rules governing the House of Representatives (federal)

“It allows members on either side of the aisle to offer amendments to appropriations bills — which are often hundreds of pages long — in order to reduce the amount of money an agency receives, the number of employees an agency has, or the amount of money an individual federal employee can be paid.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017/01/05/johnson/4qcY2vVW2cpAcfVnxzhrKN/story.html

More info: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-HPREC-DESCHLERS-V8/pdf/GPO-HPREC-DESCHLERS-V8-1-2-4.pdf

Profile photo of mary guercio
    mary guercio

Sorry, Aaron. I read the first post only. You entirely got it. Mea culpa…

Aaron Dow
    Participant

Congress votes on budget initiatives to gut the ACA*:

What will likely be changed or lost:

1) Individual subsidies on ACA markets

2) Medicaid expansion

3) Consumer protections from insurance

4) Individual mandate

5) Taxes on higher incomes, and prescription drug, medical device, and insurance companies

6) Medicare payment reform.

* Note: except for in this sentence for purpose of explanation, I will never again call the ACA ‘Obamacare’, and for the most part rarely did.

Profile photo of Turtles Run
      Turtles Run

<I>* Note: except for in this sentence for purpose of explanation, I will never again call the ACA ‘Obamacare’, and for the most part rarely did.</I>

I am sorry to go off-topic but I will always refer to the ACA as ObamaCare. This law was not perfect but was a dang site better than anything else out there. Republicans over the next few months will offer their plans but reality dictates that a lot of of the ObamaCare provisions will repackage and used in the future. I refuse to allow them to co-op these provisions without branding them for what they are – ObamaCare.

Aaron Dow
    Participant
    Aaron Dow
    Participant

Executive orders list begins:

+ An order that directs federal agencies to ease the “regulatory burdens” of ObamaCare. It orders agencies to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement” of ObamaCare that imposes a “fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.”

+ An order imposing a hiring freeze for some federal government workers as a way to shrink the size of government. This excludes the military, as Trump noted at the signing.

+ He signed a notice that the U.S. will begin withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Trump called the order “a great thing for the American worker.”

+ An order to reinstate the so-called “Mexico City Policy” – a ban on federal funds to international groups that perform abortions or lobby to legalize or promote abortion. The policy was instituted in 1984 by President Reagan, but has gone into and out of effect depending on the party in power in the White House.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/23/list-trumps-executive-orders.html

I’ll try to keep up with these as I can, but, you know, time and energy and focus and such.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Profile photo of Aaron Dow Aaron Dow.
      Profile photo of Ryan Ashfyre
      Ryan Ashfyre

Notably, Trump hasn’t taken any action on extinguishing DACA. Not that I believe he’s suddenly grown a conscience, but perhaps the politics of it has him spooked a little?

Aaron Dow
    Participant

+ Two orders reviving the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access piplines. He also signed three other related orders that would: expedite the environmental permitting process for infrastructure projects related to the pipelines; direct the Commerce Department to streamline the manufacturing permitting process; and give the Commerce Department 180 days to maximize the use of U.S. steel in the pipeline.

Aaron Dow
    Participant

Trump freezes Environmental Protection Agency grants and contracts, issues gag orders to the department staff from speaking to media.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14369072/trump-freeze-environmental-protection-agency-money-grants-climate

mary guercio

Aaron, why don’t you start a topic specifically listing executive actions? That way they’ll all be in one place.

Aaron Dow
      Participant

I’m trying to limit how many threads I even have to look at to keep track of stuff.

mary guercio

Aaron – start a thread topic and then add to it using the edit button………then you will be able to keep the topic rolling in one place!

Aaron Dow
      Participant

I am not a moderator.

My edit-fu dies after a certain time.

Aaron Dow
    Participant

+ Multi-pronged orders on border security and immigration enforcement including:

the authorization of a U.S.-Mexico border wall;

the stripping of federal grant money to sanctuary cities;

hiring 5,000 more Border Patrol agents; ending “catch-and-release” policies for illegal immigrants;

and reinstating local and state immigration enforcement partnerships.

Aaron Dow
    Participant

+ An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others.

+ A memorandum to restructure the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council.

+ A memorandum directing the Secretary of Defense to draw up a plan within 30 days to defeat ISIS.

+ An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

+ An executive order imposing a 120-day suspension of the refugee program and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. from citizens of seven terror hot spots: Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan.

Aaron Dow
      Participant

These are looking increasingly like his ‘100 day plan’ just written on official paper. A lot of these I’m unclear how they’re supposed to work or be enforced:

The 2-for-1 regulation plan: if Trump already intends to roll back all the ‘Obama era regulations’ (aka all era regulations), why wait for new regulations? If he decides some regulations are necessary, why roll them back when new ones are introduced? I think this just means each agency has to give two rules up for each rule they create. If I were the agency, I’d just wrap the two old rules into the new rule and make the three rules one rule.

The five year ban: how is the current one enforced and what is the scope and terms of this enforcement?

mary guercio

You are not alone in wondering how these EO are supposed to “work”. Neither are they….Just regurgitate and see what “sticks”.

mary guercio

Two recent actions by Republicans:

House Republicans Just Voted to Eliminate the Only Federal Agency That Makes Sure Voting Machines Can’t Be Hacked

House just filed bill to restrict legal immigration. It looks like we’ll have a real clear opportunity for business to decide if they will fight or ignore the hard line America First policies.

“A pair of Republican senators are teaming up with the White House to introduce legislation to restrict legal immigration by slashing the number of visas and green cards available each year.

Expected to be introduced in the Senate as early as Tuesday by Sens. Tom Cotton of Arkansas and David Perdue of Georgia, the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment Act would eliminate several ways for U.S. citizens and permanent resident to obtain green cards for family members. The bill would also nix the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, which each year distributes by lottery 50,000 green cards to people from countries with typically low immigration to the U.S. and the number of refugees to 50,000 annually.”

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-02-07/senators-tom-cotton-david-perdue-move-to-limit-legal-immigration

Aaron Dow
    Participant

Yugely important, bigly not covered by action alerts:

+ Three orders establishing three Department of Justice task forces to fight drug cartels, reduce violent crime and reduce attacks against police.

These are largely going to be under-resisted from the point of view of activism, but I’m hoping the ACLU is staying wary for the next case of police brutality to start directly sending this stuff Supreme-Courtward

Moving on:

+ An order directing the Treasury secretary to review the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulatory law.

+ A memorandum instructing the Labor Department to delay implementing an Obama rule requiring financial professionals who are giving advice on retirement, and who charge commissions, to put their client’s interests first.

So tl;dr, bankers have your way. This I believe falls under normal GOPherist philosophy and should be expected in any red administration. Looking forward to two to four years from now when the ‘must come down’ part of ‘what goes up’ succumbs to gravity.

Lalala.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.