Let's Talk about Slavery in America

Home Forums Off Topic Let's Talk about Slavery in America

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mary guercio 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

mary guercio

Bryan Stevenson is a veteran civil rights attorney and social justice advocate. He founded the Equal Justice Institute in Montgomery, AL, which primarily serves to represent the accused poor who have been mistreated by the justice process – most of whom are minorities, but not all. His focus is to assure that these people have quality representation in proving their innocence. He wrote a best selling book, “Just Mercy” – which is a painful read about how the poor are deprived of due process in America’s court system. It is a powerful read. He is well known for his work which he compellingly shares in his TED Talk. If you haven’t seen it, please do so.

Stevenson has embarked upon another mission: to tell the story of slavery in America through the creation of a museum and memorial project set in the cradle of slavery, Montgomery, AL, where the EJI is located. His reason for doing so?
    ““There are 59 markers and monuments to the Confederacy in [Montgomery], but yet a few years ago you couldn’t find hardly a word about slavery. The imbalance between this preoccupation with 19th century history but the silence about enslavement was desperately problematic,” Stevenson said. “I just began to realize how acculturated we are to silence about this era.”
    So, he’s doing something to change that. Here’s the story.
    https://www.theguardian.com/…/america-has-done-a-terrible-j…?

EJ

This is a great idea. There are so many old plantations which could be converted into museums of slavery quite easily.

mary guercio

There is more to the plantation story than just slavery, but it is the absence of any mention that is problematic. Right now, Americans are embroiled in decisions about the removal of confederate monuments because they are perceived as emblems of racism and divisive in their presence. It’s become a major source of strife about what to do with these statues if they are removed. Some are beautiful works of art which I can appreciate on that level alone. It would be nice to locate these pieces in museums that would tell the “whole” story of the era which they represent and what the role of those individuals in the Civil War was. I fear the opportunity for teaching in this manner is politically impossible at the current time. I assume they’ll mostly sit in a warehouse covered by a sheet (which is a rather ironic end for them given the predilection by the KKK for sheets!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.