Polling of the Millennials on race

Home Forums Off Topic Polling of the Millennials on race

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mary guercio 3 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

Daniel Farina
    Participant

https://genforwardsurvey.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/GenForward-Oct-2017-Final-Report.pdf

Via TheRoot: http://www.theroot.com/surprise-new-survey-reveals-a-wide-gulf-between-white-1820016504

There are some interesting results here, and the relatively rare Asian-American breakout. I also thought the polling questions were sometimes more well-written (or at least less vague) than I’ve seen in other studies.

Some are expected: White Millennials are evenly split on whether Trump is a racist, whereas 75% of other major ethnic groups say he is, and 48% of White Millennials think that discrimination against whites has become “as big a problem” as against “blacks and other minorities.” About a quarter of the other three broken-out ethnic groups agree.

But the shifting alignments between Latino, Asian, and Black Americans are interesting. On most propositions concerning Blacks, Asians poll fairly closely, and closest, e.g. with regard to Black Lives Matter or that discrimination plays a key role in restraining black advancement.

Another interesting statistic is Asians are poll very close to Blacks on the matter whether “special favors” should be used to overcome prejudice, figure 24. The progression is: 40/44/51/59, for black, asian, latino, and white respectively.

The notable exception is Asians are more restrained about the extent of government involvement to help Blacks and Latinos. Not more so than Whites, but relative to the other two groups.

Latinos are much more cool on the propositions concerning Black Americans, but more so than Asians think the government ought to do more about it. For what it’s worth, Blacks think the government ought to help Latino populations, but their solidarity is not repaid in full. See figures 29 and 30.

This poll would suggest a strong Asian-Black chord of sensibilities. Or, perhaps, Asians may see themselves more on the “outside” than Latinos? Who knows. Insert your favorite sociology here.

Finally, I thought Table 5 was interesting. In many regards all groups shared similar top assessments on how to make racial progress, except for one outlier among blacks: “Revolution” (14%). It replaces “Voting in State and Local Elections” as seen in the other groups.

mary guercio

That was an interesting survey; however, I was disappointed in the finding that only 51% of (white) Millennials think Trump is a racist. I am interested in your thoughts about this response and your experience generally as a younger person.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.