Some good news: Latino educational convergence

Home Forums Off Topic Some good news: Latino educational convergence

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Farina 6 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

Daniel Farina
    Participant

A few times, I have expressed some optimism about how quickly Latino influx from the ’90s was attaining access to educational opportunities in California. Pew recently posted some national statistics that surpassed my optimistic expectations:

Hispanic dropout rate hits new low, college enrollment at new high

high school graduation chart

Informally, it took three generations for my stereotypical Sicilian predecessors to obtain high school and college educations. It looks as though this may have progressed 50% faster than that.

mary guercio

Daniel – this is very good news. People aren’t born dumb, they just need an opportunity to achieve through quality preparation. The Hispanic culture is one that is proud and noted for the hard-working people within it. When given equal access to a quality education, Hispanic people achieve very well. They have every incentive to lift themselves up just as the children of America’s immigrant population have done for ions. Great article – so happy to see these stats…I’m an old public education activist so stats like these mean something to me.

Thank you.

Koctya
    Participant

Peripherally related I am sharing the incoming medical class data from Columbia University Physicians and Surgeons (our medical school) from 2013-14. Non whites continue to inch up to +40% representation of incoming students. Compared to a dozen years ago this is now approaching the ethnic make-up of the country. The second link is to broader data from JAMA concerning the picture across American Medical Schools. Not perfect….just progress

http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/PS_Facts_and_Statistics_2013-2014.pdf
    https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Diversity%20in%20Medical%20Education%20Facts%20and%20Figures%202012.pdf

EJ

This is excellent news.

I showed this to my partner, who is a language teacher by trade. Her question, which I pass on here, is: “What language are they being taught in?”

Apparently, speaking one language at school and a different one at home is a factor that’s known to contribute to a high dropout rate. As such, if education in Spanish is more widespread, it could be contributing to this.

Daniel Farina
    Participant

That’s a good question. In California, it was only recently made legal to teach in anything but English in public schools (Proposition 227 of 1996, recently repealed in the latest elections) Prop 58 of 2016 is the repeal. Both passed handily in their respective time periods.

Immersion programs are very popular in San Francisco, for many languages, and are magnets for the well-to-do (not sure how that comports with Prop 227). Perhaps people now think a mastery of English and another language are not so hard to come by, nor is a common language a fragile institution in the United States. Or such is my guess.

Net immigration sort of ended ten years ago, given our best projects. I’m going to guess time has a lot to do with it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.